Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Stephen Johnson - The Last of the Mohicans

I chose The Last of the Mohicans because it was the only book I recognized and or heard of.  Written by James Cooper a man with an intense vocabulary. The setting of this book takes place during the French and Indian war as we follow around some characters. First off, the beginning of this book honestly was like slamming in to a brick wall. As a practitioner of extremely light reading, the vocab and syntax of this book was reminiscent of a Shakespearean playwright. The Shakespearean synergy might have also been from the initial Shakespeare quote in the beginning under the first chapter as well. Once I recovered my bearings further in the book the action and adventure took over, and I could finally immerse myself.  At which point I realized I had dosed off missing multiple pages leading to a reread session. I did not like the point of view because it forced me to constantly think about who is talking? With the confusing point of view comes the very detailed descriptions which I found quite interesting, and yet I still could only vaguely grasp the big picture leading me again to dose off.  What I liked about the book were the little things. Little things such as the quotes at the beginning of each chapter and the footnotes were my favorite part. Sadly the footnotes stopped, leaving an empty hole in my heart wherefore they should have been. The plot was not shabby and the action throughout kept me interested. A question here or there on the plot which I might have missed in my dosed off state but overall not terrible. I liked the historical aspect of the book which I don't often see often in books outside of the common textbook. I would not recommend this book to other members of the only read when forced club, but for those who enjoy reading you might as well check it out. Contrary to how I make it sound it was a good book, I just hate reading stories and the like.

No comments: