Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ashlyn Dewit- The Autobiography of Malcolm X


I choose to read and watch the autobiography of Malcolm X. I thought it would be interesting because it was different than all of the other books listed. Reading about the struggles that Malcolm had to over come, really makes me thankful for the time period I live in. It was hard to believe some of the things people would do to make them appear like the “superior” race, such as a conk hairstyle. The book follows Malcolm in both his good and bad times. It follows Malcolm, as he had to move in with his sister Ella, became a Hustler and began to gamble and do drugs. But Malcolm’s life changes when he is thrown in prison for burglary, he converts to a branch of Islam promoted by the Nation of Islam. Malcolm stops doing drugs, prays, studies language, and becomes part of the prison debate team. 

5 comments:

Mcapush said...

I was also interested in "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" but i ended up reading "The Grapes of Wrath". I find reading and studying about interesting peoples lives very enjoyable and educational. Even though in the end a more peaceful approach to segregation was excepted, his views influenced people all over America.

Mcapush said...

The comment above is by Joshua Buchanan. Sorry for the confusion.

Grant Hodges said...

That book also peaked my interest, I feel that it would have been a more educational and interesting read. Uncle Tom's Cabin was very dreary and unreasonably long.

Mcapush said...

Irfan Kovankaya
I found the book fascinating. And I feel the book would appeal to minorities living in America who understand the struggle that only comes from being of a different ethnic background. It helps us realize the great progress we have gone through as a country. I also found interesting the attempts by black people of that time period to appear more "white" such as the conk hairstyle I found this very similar to the very popular attempt in Asian countries to whiten their skin due to the "white" standard of "beauty". Seeing this I was able to draw comparisons between the 2 cultures desire to appear white as for some reason having Caucasian characteristics is considered the standard for beauty (such as lighter skin etc).

Lincoln APUSH 2 said...

From what I've heard about the book it sounds really interesting. For such a significant person I've not been taught much about him yet in schools. I might just read this in my leisure.

-Jayson Taylor