Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ryan Koch - Ragtime

The appeal of Ragtime, personally, was the musical, which I was introduced to sometime last year. Instantaneously, it became one of my absolute favorites. However, I didn't realize that this wonderful, well-crafted show was originated from a book by E. L. Doctorow, which piqued my interest further. However, I had no real reason to read it, so I put it off. That was until I noticed that Ragtime as one of the APUSH Summer Reading choices. I must say, reading the book that the show originated from is a completely different experience altogether. Prior to this book, I didn't really know too much about turn-of-the-century America, and I wasn't sure of how people lived their lives back then. Ragtime constitutes that image for the reader exceptionally. Although this book had its share of fiction, I believe it was deeply invested in truth as well. This amalgamation of fact and fiction allowed for both historical and fictional characters to seem more human, in a very convoluted way. One thing that fascinated me was the specific moment when the two worlds collide, which is when Houdini crashes into a telephone pole outside of the Family's house. Prior to that occurrence, both worlds were talked about separately. From that point onward, both fictional and factual characters of Ragtime are all part of the same realm.

1 comment:

Mcapush said...

Ryan,
I love that you mentioned the combination of factual and fictional characters! That was one of my favorite parts about the way this novel was written. I thought it was so cool that I already had background information about some of the characters, such as Henry Ford and Sigmund Freud.

Allison Burnsed