Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kaitlyn Daramola - Coming of Age in Mississippi


I chose the book Coming of Age in Mississippi. It is about a young woman named Anne Moody and how she goes through living in the South and being Black in the ‘40’s and ‘50’s. In the novel she goes through many trials such as, working as a maid in order to help her mother put food on the table, encountering horrible racists like her boss, Ms. Burke, and many other things.  But she also tries to better the lives of Blacks, and herself by going to Natchez and Tougaloo College, and joining the NAACP. I picked this book because I am an African-American girl, and I believe that it is my duty to know what my people have gone through in order for me to have the opportunities I have today.  Although there still is racism in America this book has made me appreciate living in the 21st century because it could have been much worse for me to live during Ms. Moody’s time period.

I thought the book was amazing; while reading I forgot it was an autobiography! It is extremely personal and it feels like the reader is going through the exact same thing as Anne is. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kaityln I really love what this book is about. I would love to learn more about my African American roots. Definitely will be adding this to my books to read list.
- Ollicia Anderson