Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Taylor Henley- Ragtime

After I searches through every single book on the summer reading list I chose
ragtime because it centers around a family who seem to have their own issues.
I chose this book because it uses historical fiction to convey ideas throughout
American History. The novel stuck out to me on the list of books because of its
uniqueness in characters and the way it evolves throughout the novel. The book is
narrated by the youngest son of the family and you see his evolve throughout the
story. The novel shows racism and poverty; several things that have a huge impact
on society. The novel is written to show a link between the fiction of the characters
and the historical significance of American Society as it was in the 1900s. It is also
set in New York City as WW1 approaches. The author does not use distinct names
for some of the characters which I found interesting the way he calls his mother only
be her title in the household. The novel has its twists and turns throughout the plot
which leads me to forget that it is a summer reading assignment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I choose to read Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow because of the recommendation of a friend who said she knew I'd enjoy the book. She was right. I enjoyed how the author choose to write the book through one of the characters. It was uniquely written so that we followed the lives not only directly related to the "main character" but also character who indirectly influenced the fate of the family. I also very much enjoyed how in the final chapter the author choose to show how the lives of the characters had progressed "after" the book was finished, it gave me a conclusion feeling good about the ending; where in other books i was left wanting to know more.

-Caitlin Chelette

-I repeatedly tired to sign in to post a comment however each time it told me that the password had been changed. So i made my own account in order to post a comment.

Lincoln APUSH 2 said...

Melanie Munroe:
I really appreciated your obvious admiration for the plot line, as well as for the separate aspects of the story. Your book sounds very interesting, so much so that I'm considering reading it.

Lincoln APUSH 2 said...

Ashlyn Dewit:
Although I enjoyed reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X, I wished I read this book. I watched the movie already and I seemed very interesting. I am considering reading this book next. I like how it has fictional characters in a real American Society.