Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Emily Case- the Grapes of Wrath

I can honestly say that when I went to choose my summer reading book for this class, I knew none of the titles, as well as nothing about them. I ended up choosing the Grapes of Wrath purely because I was intrigued by the title and was curious about whatever "grapes of wrath" were. However, upon reading the novel, I found that it is much more than just an interesting title.

John Steinbeck, the author, does a brilliant job of including vibrant details in his writing. You can vividly picture each scene in your head, and much of the language he uses is beautifully strung together. An especially detailed chapter happened to be the 3 page tale of a turtle crossing a road. At first, I was incredibly confused as to why the turtle chapter was included-turtles do not have any further significance throughout the story. After reading on though, I realized it carries heavy symbolism to the Joad family and their difficult travels.

Something else that I thought was interesting was the way Steinbeck changed his writing style every chapter or so. Chapters that deal directly with the Joad family and their story are written in a "normal" style. However, there are also chapters scattered throughout the book that are more general, and apply to the mass of families that were displaced by the industry. These sections are written in a different style, and don't use quotations. To me it implies a sense of chaos and hurry, something that the families deal with.

1 comment:

Mcapush said...

Lauren Stander - I've heard this was one of those books everyone needs to read, but it actually sounds really interesting. I'll try and read it sometime.