Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Naomi Belay - The Things They Carried

For my APUSH summer reading assignment, I chose to read The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, it had been suggested to me by my older sister. The book takes place during the Vietnam War and tells a variety of short stories. Although I'm not all that interested in war stories, I thought it was an easy read and there were multiple times where I was too focused in the book to stop reading. I particularly enjoyed the stories  "The Man I Killed", "Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong" and "On the Rainy River". In "On the Rainy River" it shows the fear the author Tim O'Brien had felt prior to becoming a soldier in the Vietnam war, and how he almost went to Canada just to escape all the chaos. Usually soldiers or men drafted for the war are portrayed as brave and fearless, I admired how he admitted to being afraid. I liked how it wasn't just one long story and that there was a string of fascinating stories; and it wasn't just sad war stories, there were some funny ones too. It really helps you absorb what the Vietnam War was like, and it's nice how it's written by someone who had experienced the war firsthand.

3 comments:

Lincoln APUSH 2 said...

This book sounds interesting. The authors truthfulness to the reader about his life during the war makes me want to read it too!
-Fizza Mir

Lincoln APUSH 2 said...

I wish I could have read this book, it sounds super interesting and I love the idea of short stories connected to create a bigger picture as to what the Vietnam War was like.
Emma Hale

Lincoln APUSH 2 said...

I really enjoyed this book even though, like you, i'm not a huge fan of war stories, it ended up not being solely about war but more about life and its struggles for each individual person.