Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Sunday, August 15, 2010

John Thyer - The President Calling Podcast

I just completed my podcasts, and I'd like to share my thoughts on what I heard from the mouth of John F. Kennedy himself.

First off, I'd like to say that this assignment was very interesting, and it was very humanizing to listen to the actual voice of JFK, a president from half a century ago, and hearing his words against the Government of Mississippi was fascinating. Secondly, I'd like to say that I hate iTunes with a passion and that I resent having to install it but anyway...

The first Podcast I listened too was the "JFK Debates Govenor's Decision to Ban James Meredith from U-Miss" file. In it, JFK debates with the Governor (of Mississippi, I assume) about their decision to bar James Meredith from the University of Mississippi. The Governor states that Meredith has committed a state crime, and is therefore barred from entering state schools. Upon further research (read: Wikipedia), I found out that this law was enacted around the time that James Meredith sued the University of Mississippi for refusing to admit him due to his race. The law was essentially created to block Meredith, who was formerly charged with voter fraud. JFK argues for Meredith to be admitted, while the Governor says his duty is to uphold the law.

The second podcast, "JFK Persuades Barnett to Maintain Law and Order in Mississippi", involves the Governor trying to convince JFK to avoid registering Meredith, as he might not be able to stop mobs and the like from developing in opposition to Meredith's admittance. JFK asks that, if he waits for the people to cool down, will Meredith be admitted, and the Governor reluctantly agrees.

The third and final podcast I listened to was the "JFK Addresses Nation Prematurely on Success in Mississippi" file. In it, JFK delivers a speech to the nation about the success in Mississippi and how it could have happened sooner had the state government of Mississippi upheld Federal law rather than resisting it. This final speech is interesting, as, while it rightfully chastizes the Mississippi state government for its actions, it also is a total condemnation of civil disobedience. Listening to his words, he essentially condemns the works of Gandhi and many African-American civil rights activities that happened before and during his presidency.

I obviously agree with JFK's assistance of the civil rights movement and I feel that he's a moral man, but I don't believe I can morally side with him on the issue of civil disobedience. Civil Disobedience is a just and righteous tool for fighting corrupt governments, and his attack on the whole movement is in the moral wrong, in my opinion of course.

Unrelated to this but related to the other assignment, I just watched the "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" film, and it was just as fantastic as I'd hoped. One thing that was interesting however, was that the book had a better Nurse character and gave me much more time to despise her, the movie version of McMurphy as played by Jack Nicholson is far superior thanks to Nicholson's fantastic performance. I think that I would have enjoyed the film more if I'd seen it first, but then I doubt I'd have enjoyed the book as much. Both experiences would have been enriched if I hadn't had the ending spoiled by my little brother. Jerk.

Also, something else sprung into my mind recently. Now, I hate to use the term "ripoff", but, try reading/watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and then reading/watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and see who Dolores Umbridge reminds you of. Just saying.

No comments: