Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Friday, August 13, 2010

Douglas Roberts- The Wizard of Oz

I chose Baum's The Wizard of Oz because the 1939 film was one of my favorite movies as a child and I took this opportunity to read the book that inspired that movie. I ended up actually enjoying the book more than the movie, and I was surprised by the myriad of differences between the book and the movie-- especially that the iconic ruby slippers were in fact silver in Baum's original telling. While most of the changes did not significantly alter the plot, it made re-watching the movie much more interesting as I looked for omissions or significant additions by the filmmakers. I recommend this book to any fans of the film.

3 comments:

Mcapush said...

Bradley Wheeler
I read the book "The Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose and I think I would have read "The Wizard of Oz" after reading what Doug said. Although I thoroughly enjoy WWII history and war movies, I would have much rather watched not such a gruesome series, but something like the "Wizard of Oz". Figuring out the additions and omissions to the film would have been rather enjoyable to such a creative and fun movie.

Mcapush said...

Jennifer Rudder
to Doug:
I read the Wizard of Oz too and I feel the exact opposite. I love the movie, but I feel like the writing is over-rated almost. I didn't like the way Baum wrote it.

to Brad:
It's pretty ironic, but I was actually thinking about how I wish I had read Band of Brother's instead of Wizard of Oz based on your initial posting!

Mcapush said...

grace stoyshich
to doug: i totally agree with you doug. i loved the book so much better. even though i love the whole ruby red slippers in the movie. the shoes are suppose to be silver like in the book. so i loved teh book and so gald you chose to read it lol.
to jennifer:
sorry u didnt like it. atleast u somewhat liked the movie right?