Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Savannah Bryant

For my summer reading I chose to read the autobiography of Malcolm X. I hadn't seen the movie before but Malcolm X was always someone who had interested me. I wanted to see how the civil rights struggles of his time compare to the civil rights struggles of today. I wanted to see what was going through his head and why he stuck so strongly to his beliefs. And most importantly, I wanted to read this book because Malcolm X seems like a pretty cool dude. I thought it was interesting how his encounters with groups such as the KKK and civil rights groups began at the beginning of his life. I think the incidents surrounding the KKK and his childhood made him who he was, along with being able to follow his father to the UNIA meetings. I thought his time with drugs and the time he spent in prison showed that people can overcome anything that is thrown at them. I think it's interesting that such a well known & successful character went through such turmoils. Watching Malcolm's views grow and change throughout this book was very interesting to see. Probably my favorite thing was watching his radical views change as he became more involved in the Islamic religion and how he falls in love with the "colorblindness" of the Islamic people.

2 comments:

Mcapush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mcapush said...

That sounds like an interesting book, and it sounds like he had many hard times in his life. I would recomend that you read Uncle Toms Cabin, because it also shows racial differences between whites and blacks from a different time period.
Thomas Doredant