Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Maxine Beck: Grapes of Wrath

I blindly chose Grapes of Wrath, as I was ignorantly unfamiliar with the text. Fortunately I found it to be a powerful story that authentically captured the Great Depression. The Joads, just like every other family are trying to make something out of nothing, so they head out to California with big hopes while battling the issues within the family. The amount of empathy and relatibility I had towards the characters shocked even me. To be honest I cried a few times while reading this book, because I am an emotional person and because of the genius plot. But regardless of the plot, Steinbeck's attention to details , namely nature, is what really impressed me. This book is a symbol of the Great Depression, struggles caused by it, and every American family. But most importantly it reminded me of my grandmother, Bonnie Milikan who grew up during the Great Depression and lived with nothing, but I grew up in the late nineteen-nineties and had everything. I have everything.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i read the same book, i think it is cool that you were able to have a connection to it, i also had no previous knowledge of the book, but now i have understood what some experiences could have potentially have been during the great depression