Welcome APUSH'ers

Hello AP US History Students of the Summer 2014e,

Many of you are aware that something happened to the blog and posting was disabled. I only just was able to correct the problems with Google this weekend. I have a How to to help those who haven't posted anything, or just need to submit your final comment. Please do so as soon as you can. Deadlines will be extended to Tuesday, August 19th at 10 pm for all the Summer Blog deadlines.

You can access the Help Sheet by Clicking Here.

You need to post comments three different times for your Summer Reading.

Every time you post
, you must include your first and last name-- every time you post (get the idea that your name is important?). Without a name, grades cannot be assigned. Keep in mind that we do not know you by name other than from the legal roster, please put any given names not used in parenthesis).

It is IMPORTANT that you use the username and password included in your Summer Reading packet. (username: mcapush2 password: historyrules)

Monday, July 27, 2009

Taylor Dayton

I listened to the most of The President Calling but what stuck out to me was Kennedy's conversations with the mayor considering the denial of a black man into the University of Mississippi.  To be honest, I don't know a lot about the presidents so I don't plan on writing a comment rich in history and point of view. Instead, I plan on writing about what I was able to comprehend, and hopefully after taking APUSH i will be more qualified to give an opinion based in fact and history.  
I was very surprised when the mayor was interrupting the president. If I got a chance to talk to Obama I would be all ears. Kennedy tried to solve the situation over the phone, and tried to avoid sending in troops and causing a scandal. This reminded me of the recent scandal of Professor Gates in which Obama invited him and the officer to the white house to settle things. Both situations dealt with race.  I admire how both Kennedy and Obama would like to calm things rather than stir them up.  However, Kennedy was unable to calm things, and rioting broke out.  Although he sounded persuasive over the phone, obviously he couldn't convince Mayor Barnett to fix things.  Hopefully by inviting Professor Gates and the officer to the White House, Obama will do a better job of avoiding a riot than Kennedy. These two issues are almost fifty years apart and I hope that in fifty years the issue of race will be long gone, and presidents will be able to focus on other things. 

No comments: